Heritage Village ~ Port Colborne Historical & Marine Museum ~ City of Port Colborne
City of Port Colborne, City of Port Colborne, ON
Heritage – Museums – Historical Sites – Re-enactments
WILLIAMS HOUSE/MUSEUM (1861) Carriage House (1870)
This Georgian Revival style home was built by John and Maria Judith Williams on property surveyed by Canal Founder, William Hamilton Merritt. It was bequeathed to the City by their daughter Arabella in 1950. The interior features local historical and marine artifacts.
CARRIAGE HOUSE (1870)
Part of the original Williams estate, the Carriage House is of board and batten construction with hand hewn beams. The interior features Arabella’s horse-drawn Carriage and the brand new Neff Steam Buggy replica.
From the steam tug, Yvon Dupre Jr. Built by Marine Industries Ltd. of Sorel, Quebec and moved to the Museum grounds in 1975.
Raised from the wreck of the propeller ship Raleigh which sank near Port Colborne during a storm in 1911. Weighing 5000 pounds, it was anchored on the Museum grounds in 1975.
LIFEBOAT (The Port Colborne Historical & Marine Museum and Heritage Village is the focal point of many special events throughout the year.
During the spring, this active museum hosts Arabella’s Pie Social, History Fair and every summer draws thousands to its annual Canal Days. In December people gather from far and wide to celebrate a Grand Old Christmas Festival and enjoy a taste of traditional Christmas Pudding in Arabella’s Tea Room.
The Museum and Heritage Village feature a century of heritage buildings in a landscaped setting of historic gardens, pathways, trees and flowers, picket fences, and a memorial pavilion with picnic tables and benches.
The Village includes the original 1869 Georgian-revival style Home and Carriage House of Arabella Williams which houses the main exhibit galleries, Humberstone’s first log schoolhouse where School Tours are held, the 1850 log home of John and Sally Sherk, the F.W. Woods and Sons 1880 Marine Blacksmith Shop, a 1915 Edwardian Cottage which is the home of Arabella’s Tea Room where volunteers serve Afternoon Tea of hot homemade tea biscuits and preserves, a Marine Exhibit Lighthouse a reproduction of the parapet of Port Colborne’s Lighthouse which displays marine artifacts and ship models, and a Heritage Resource Centre which holds the Museums Reserve Collection and is open for research by appointment.
The Museum interprets and exhibits the history of Port Colborne and the Welland Canal. Marine artifacts include the Wheelhouse from the Yvon Dupre Jr. Tug Boat, the anchor from the Raleigh and a Lifeboat from the S.S. Hochelaga.
The Museum is the home of Canada’s Century Car, the 1901 Neff Steam Buggy, one of Ontario’s oldest existing automobiles, built by Benton Neff at the Neff Foundry in Humberstone, which is part of Port Colborne today.
This little steam buggy had a 100-year adventure across North America, before returning home to Ontario on Sept. 8, 2001, exactly 100 years to the day it was put on the road Sept. 8, 1901.
280 King Street 905-834-7604 firstname.lastname@example.org
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Maps failed to load
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.